Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Acts 9 "Life Interrupted"

Acts 9 – Brandon Hatmaker “Life Interrupted”
Wednesday, April 23, 2008

“Saul spent several days with the disciples in Damascus. At once he began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God. All those who heard him were astonished and asked, "Isn't he the man who raised havoc in Jerusalem among those who call on this name? And hasn't he come here to take them as prisoners to the chief priests?" Yet Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Christ.” – Acts 9:19-22

Life Interrupted. That’s what it was. Everything Saul was living for, everything he believed, all his priorities, and all that motivated him came to a halt. And it changed on a dime.

So many of us struggle with surrendering completely to God because of our fear of massive interruption. We are afraid that God will really ask us to change. Well, He does. But there are a few questions that come to mind that impact our willingness or even ability to surrender willingly to interruption:

Do we really believe that Jesus brings the fullest of life? Do we really believe that God will do what He said He’d do? Do we really believe that God’s ways are greater than our ways? Do we really trust Him on our journey? Do we think God wants us to change for Him, or do we realize its God who wants to do the changing in us? Do we really believe God is sovereign and we should “fear” Him even in His love? How holistic is our concept of surrender?

Even as believers, we can have “Damascus Road” experiences. The question is, how far are we willing to go in our faith? How much are we really willing to offer of ourselves? Are we willing to let God completely interrupt our lives?

I had a conversation with a friend this morning about our faith life and our careers. We discussed briefly how much our jobs seem to define our lives more than our faith. Now that’s an easy discussion for me as a pastor who has the honor of doing what I do full time, but if I’m honest with myself (and God), he still interrupts what I’m trying to do “for him” at times (as if he needs me to do things for him). I used to think of that as a distraction. I’m trying to be through with that attitude and heart. While I obviously fall short at times, I truly want God to define not just what I do, but how I do it. God is clear throughout His word that the heart (reason) and method (journey) in which we do what we do is more important than the goal in which we typically strive. The only way to truly be okay with allowing our faith to define our lives is to truly embrace this truth. The victory, then, is surely God’s.

Father, grow my faith. Thank you for bold moments in my life that have caused me to ask tough questions. Thank you for moments where we have to blatantly choose to follow you or disobey you. Thank you for your constant faithfulness in those moments. Thank you that your “foolishness” is wiser than my wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment