Thursday, April 24, 2008

Acts 10 "Food for Thought"

Acts 10 – Brandon Hatmaker “Food for Thought”
Thursday, April 24, 2008

There are a couple things that strike me as significant today from Acts 10. The first is found in the first four verses of the chapter.

“At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, "Cornelius!" Cornelius stared at him in fear. "What is it, Lord?" he asked.” – Acts 10:1-4

Throughout scripture, each time when someone encountered a presence representing the Glory of God, the immediate response was fear. Most of the time it came with an immediate recognition of who it actually was. Here, there was no doubt by Cornelius’ response that he knew it was the Lord. His response was confidence and obedience.

What’s interesting to me is the parallels in how we often experience God’s leading today and yet how often we respond differently. Whenever we see something in our journey that might cause change or take a sacrifice, we often experience fear (albeit a different kind of fear), but then that fear at times can paralyze us instead of give us confidence.

I think we need to take more time evaluating our emotions. Why do we feel like we do in reaction to things that may be happening? Is it our nature, our shortcomings, our nurture, or even a personal bias? We need to recognize that often it’s the things that are scary that God is really in. Many times it’s the safe and comfortable stuff that keeps us from moving forward. Just food for thought.

The second is found in verses 17-20 (as well as numerous other places in scripture)

“While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon's house was and stopped at the gate. They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there. While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, "Simon, three men are looking for you. So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them." – Acts 10:17-20

Over and over throughout scripture Peter is still referred to as Simon. Made me think about the “artist formerly known as Prince”. (If that doesn’t make sense to you, don’t wreck your brain). In this scripture it tell us that He was Simon… “who was known as Peter.” Makes me wonder, at what point would he be known as just Peter? The “Rock” who Jesus said that on a faith like his, His church would be built upon.

Who are we known as? Each of us has lives that are marked by milestones of growth in our faith journey. That may be marked in our ability to lead, to love, to share grace, to serve sacrificially, etc… I struggle at times when I revert back, whether in thought, or even action to who I once was. Maybe not so far back as to resemble my life pre-Christ, but even as a new believer, or one immature in my faith. That’s what happens when I act as if the world, my relationships, my church, my life should revolve around me. That’s what happens when I get too self-focused. That’s what happens when I think I can accomplish anything on my own. The list goes on and on.

God, Help me to daily put on Christ. I pray for wisdom beyond my years and experiences. I pray that I may live a life of pursuit of you and a life symbolizing what it looks like to be a child of the King. I know that is a lifelong process, Father. Help me to stay focused on that life journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment