Monday, April 14, 2008

Acts 2 "What do we do now?"

Acts 2 – Brandon Hatmaker “What do we do now?”
Monday, April 14, 2008



"Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" – Acts 2:36-37

This must have been an amazingly powerful moment. Few things in life truly cut us to the heart, especially to the point in which we are asking, “what shall we do?” This reminds me of the question Jesus asked of the two disciples following him in John 1 when he said, “What do you seek?” There was something special happening, they knew it, and wanted to be a part of it.

Peter went on to explain what they should do. Essentially it was to surrender to the teaching of Christ, unite with Him through Baptism, and be devoted to one another. Thousands came to know faith on that day. The following verses tell us that the Lord added to their number daily. Seems like a simple formula.

So what was it that drove them to ask the question, “What shall we do?”

I think they stood in the reality of seeing something amazing happening in the Spirit on that very special and anointed day. I think they began to realize the truth of how Jesus fulfilled all that he said he would fulfill. I think the thing that cut them the most was realizing the fact that they were the ones who crucified Him… and yet through that act, God offered them life. That is our God. He looks at us for who we are, the one’s whose sin ultimately led to the death of His Son, and He loves us anyway.

The movement that followed would not happen through Peter’s amazing exhortations alone or even the miracles seen. As Matthew Henry writes, “These two could not produce such effect by themselves”. But it was the gift of the Holy Spirit that prompted this level of response. This was something new, and something very special. And it’s a gift promised to us today.

So the question remains, as the Spirit moves, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

Today, I pray that through the Spirit, we are prompted to remember the sacrifice made. I pray that we seek His understanding. I pray we gain confidence and strength to follow the ways of Christ. I pray that our trust is increased. I pray the Spirit gives us insight to things we could not grasp with human minds and makes us sensitive to the needs around us. I pray that our love increases for one another as it grows for God out of a thankful heart.

“I once was lost, but now I’m found. Was blind, but now I see.” Thank you, Lord.

1 comment:

  1. The people's response to the miracle of those speaking in their own tongue struck me. "They must be drunk," made me laugh and cry at the same time. Laugh at such an earthly response to such a heavenly event, and cry knowing I have done that many times in my life. - Ginger Armstrong

    ReplyDelete