Thursday, May 21, 2009

Psalm 74 - Devastating

I'm reminded today how we often let the physical and temporary things in our life become central and therefore seem critical. When they are taken away or even challenged it can quickly feel like a devastating loss. In chapter 74, the Psalmist reminds us that while we may be derailed by what we consider a "devastating loss", a sovereign God cannot be contained. No matter the temporal object destroyed, an eternal God is still in control.
They burned your sanctuary to the ground;
they defiled the dwelling place of your Name.

They said in their hearts, "We will crush them completely!"
They burned every place where God was worshiped in the land.

But you, O God, are my king from of old;
you bring salvation upon the earth.

Psalm 74:7-8, 12

3 comments:

  1. As I got toward the end of my college undergrad I began getting anxious. I need a job. I am wasting time. What if I do not make wealth? I am not following through with my business plans...STOP.
    Be anxious for nothing.
    Store up your treasures in heaven.
    As long as I am doing things to further the Kingdom I need not to worry about these things. I was reminded that if I lost everything that I have right now this life is a mere blink compared to the eternity spent with the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy to give the "right" answers. You know all you need is Jesus and that sort of stuff. It is a whole nother ball game when it is put to the test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but note, in v. 12, "bring salvation upon the earth." Whenever you see the word "salvation" in the OT, the original Hebrew word is ישועה which, transliterated, is Yeshua (Jesus' name). Knowing this, every scripture where the Lord is said to bring salvation takes on a beautiful new meaning. Jesus is all over the OT!

    I wonder, if on the road to Emmaus, in Luke 24:27, when "beginning at Moses and all the prophets, [Jesus] expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself," if the apostles eyes were opened to this beautiful word key as well.

    ReplyDelete