Monday, May 4, 2009

Psalm 61 – Day by Day

Guest Post: Tray Pruet
"Increase the days of the king's life, his years for many generations. May he be enthroned in God's presence forever; appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him." - Psalm 61:6-7

I was talking to my daughter the other day and she revealed to me that she wanted to live to the oldest woman ever. My thought was…I sure wouldn’t want to live to be that old. I’m not really sure of her motivation….but I would bet that it revolved around the idea of just NOT DYING.

David here isn’t selfishly asking God to increase the number of day his life for his own glory….but so that he could serve Him, to fulfill his vows before God.

One thing that I love about this passage is the correlation between David’s words in verse 8; “Then will I ever sing praise to your name and fulfill my vows day after day.” And the passage in Luke 9:23-25 when Jesus is talking to his disciples “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?”

It is truly a daily journey, one with choices…and like David, we can choose to honor God or choose not to. Another great verse, Joshua 24:15 say that you must, “choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve….but as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD”

1 comment:

  1. It seems, in my own life, the sweetest times are when I am close to God. Being close to God seems to lead me to trying to do His work. Who wouldn't want to spend as much time as we could with the One who loved us so much He died for us?

    ReplyDelete