Thursday, May 14, 2009

Psalm 70 – EmUrgency

Guest Post: Tray Pruet
"Yet I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; 
O LORD, do not delay.
Was David literally poor or needy?" - Psalm 70:5

I’m thinking this posture of David is one that we all need to take. David could have said….Lord I got this world on a string….I am it’s king…what do you have to offer me, or better yet….what can I do for you today if I have time? Though that was never David’s heart….is it ours? We would never say that…. But I wonder if sometimes in our hearts that isn’t exactly what we give or say. And I love that David seeks God’s urgency. I’ve done this so many times….but my prayers aren’t always answered in the manner or timing that I would have preferred.

As a parent, its one thing to be sitting in the living room watching the TV or talking to our wives….and one of the kids says…mom/dad can I get some help with this homework. We might say….give us a minute, or wait until the commercial. But one of our kids is hurt, or in trouble, or scared…..we drop everything to get there “without delay”. David seeks God’s urgency….because he is in need.

As a Sovereign God, when we seek God urgently…and he responds to us, in his timing…..I wonder what that says? Maybe he is teaching us to wait on Him, maybe he is telling us He’s got this, maybe He is teaching us patience.

5 comments:

  1. Great post Tray. What strikes me is the fact that with all the David has, has had, and will have... he still considers himself poor and in need. Like you said, "maybe" we need to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, “Let God be exalted!” Yet I am poor and needy; come quickly to me O God. (Psalm 70:4-5)

    Praise then prayer. Something I’ve been trying hard to remind myself of lately is that God has placed me where He wants me. My job, my family, our neighborhood. There is so much to be thankful for that I am learning to catch myself more and more of focusing on praising Him before asking for His help. It has always been part of my “prayer routine” to praise Him first, but I now find myself doing it throughout the day during spontaneous prayers. I can look out the window and praise Him for the beauty of Colorado. I praise Him for my daughter after she gives me a hug and runs out the door. I praise Him for health and opportunity when I return from a bike ride. And, I’ve been trying to concentrate on praising Him when I struggle at work.

    Focusing on praise as a regular part of the day has begun to shape my attitude and perspective; not just inwardly, but also in how I treat others. Being more aware of God’s grace and presence in all things reminds me that He is present in all those I talk to and work with, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this analogy thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it is just the season I am in but, the "Maybe he is teaching us to wait on Him, maybe he is telling us He’s got this, maybe He is teaching us patience," lines really got me today. I know God loves me. I know He has plans to prosper me. I know He will do it on HIS time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that God, in His timing, is reminding us that it is not something WE do that fixes things. It's not a spell we utter to conjure the Great God into action.
    If using Tray's analogy about our kids being hurt: think Bactine. This must be so confusing to kids. You're going to INCREASE my pain?! This is not what our kids want. They want it to be better. Now. But we know better. Healing takes time.
    Also, our attitude to help our kids can vary by the posture of their request. If they're overdramatizing, and shouting, "Mom, I'm hurt! Do something!" well, I just might take a different attitude than if I heard, "Owie, Mommy. I fell down. Can you help me?" David's attitude of humility is the right one when addressing God, despite all his earthly power as king.
    (BTW, Tray, what happened to your blog?)

    ReplyDelete