Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Psalm 17 - Hey dad.



My boys are 6 and 10. My little girl is 8. The difference is remarkable. Not only in age and gender, but mostly in personality. And I love the differences. I love how I relate and wrestle with Gavin and Caleb and snuggle with Sydney Beth. But I love even more when, every now and then, Gavin and Caleb want to snuggle too. Mostly at bed time. Mostly through a request like, “Hey dad, will you scratch my back?”

It takes about 15 seconds for Caleb to fall asleep once I start. Gavin could somehow will himself to stay up all night if I’d keep scratching.

I love it when they run into the house after a bus ride home, slam open the front door, throw down their backpacks and offer a quick, “Hey dad”, as if we were just a couple of fellas working together at the factory. We’re buds. While there is respect, there is also a comfort, a trust, a love, and an unspoken confidence that exists between us.

And when they want something, they ask me for it. They know I can provide it, they know I love them and want my best for them, and they unconsciously cherish the fact that I cherish them. Sounds like David in verse 8:

“Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings.” – Psalm 17:8


When I read this today, I could almost hear him saying “daddy” in front of it. We know that Jesus called God “daddy”. If our sins are forgiven, if there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ, why wouldn’t we come to him as our daddy as well?

1 comment:

  1. GREAT thoughts today brother!!! I am learning things with Chad I never thought I would. If we as sinners give our children such gifts, how much more does God want to give us? (parapharse at 4:00 am) When we look at our relationship with God the way it is, Father to child, how can we not get excited and feel the warm glow of that Father some of us have longed for?

    ReplyDelete