Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nehemiah 7 - Succession

Here's a leadership thought from a friend of mine on Nehemiah 7.

"I put in charge of Jerusalem my brother Hanani, along with Hananiah the commander of the citadel, because he was a man of integrity and feared God more than most men do." Nehemiah 7:2

Nehemiah was not in this for political or personal fame and glory. He could have stayed on and I am sure that the people would have elected him their ruler. However, the task was done and it was time to move on.

Leaving a job you have poured your heart and soul into is difficult. Yet, we always should spend time in our current role planning to leave. We need to know at any moment the person (s) that will take over, whether they are ready and what they have left to learn to be effective. We have to rest knowing the next person will do it a different way and if the succession is successful, people will forget the original leader and in fact find faults with the way we lead as change occurs.

Nehemiah gives us two great models of people to pick; Getting it Done and Doing it Right. He picks his bother who set the entire chain of events in motion – Nehemiah 1:2 Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem. And he selects a man with integrity and the fear of God within him.

Then when it is time the leader should bless the team and leave as we will see in Nehemiah 8.

1 comment:

  1. God' timing has been heavy on my heart these days. When we are in a job or at a position, we need to be in step with His timing. I wish had been in His timing several times in my past. Looking back on it though, I was actually in His timing. He moved me when He wanted to open the next door for me. Leaving is hard. The unknown is hard. But, with God He makes a way. He sees us through. We get in trouble, just like Peter, when we take our eyes off Him.

    ReplyDelete