Friday, January 11, 2008

Genesis 34, Matthew 25

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 - Brandon Hatmaker (Genesis 34, Matthew 25)

(Genesis 34)

Verses 15-17 “We will give our consent to you on one condition only: that you become like us by circumcising all your males. Then we will give you our daughters and take your daughters for ourselves. We'll settle among you and become one people with you. But if you will not agree to be circumcised, we'll take our sister and go."

There is so much to think about in chapter 34. It gives us insight to what happens when we think justice is ours. It gives us insight to what happens when we respond emotionally to something personal. It reminds us to consider the collateral impact of our actions far beyond the immediate. I’m sure there are more lessons.

For some reason this story makes me think about evangelism. A good friend of mine who has an amazing ministry to the impoverished in India mentioned that when Christians hand out tracks there, it’s almost a joke, because the people know if they accept it and listen to the message that then they will give them food, clothing, or other support. Let’s make a deal, right? So their vision is to just lead with love, in the form of food, clothing, education, and other support. And if God gives them the opportunity to lead someone to Christ, they do it. But they recognize the heart of what it’s all about (See Matthew 25). In verses 15-17 in Genesis 34, the entire group of men agreed to be circumcised. Why? Not because they decided to follow their God, but because they wanted something from them and they knew this was the way to get it.

Then my mind travels across the seas to America. I think we have to be careful that we don’t do the same thing here.

Father, help us to keep perspective. Help us to truly make our faith journey about love and trust in you and not reduce it to a handful of rituals. Teach us to grasp the fullness of a relationship with you, that when we share it, others see more than a step across a line in life. Instead, that we would all truly see it as a new life.

(Matthew 25)

Verses 37-40 say, "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”

There it is. There is no way we can ignore it. How can we? I had a conversation with a gentleman the other day about faith. His sticking point about faith was the “hypocrites” out there. How many times have we heard that? Why do we just dismiss it? We should look at the pattern and think, “hey, maybe they’re right, maybe we really are all hypocrites.” After dialoguing about how faith is lived out, he said to me, “You can tell me what you value in faith with words and I won’t believe you. I’ve seen it before, they’re just words. If you show me with your life, then I’ll believe you.”

As followers of Christ, we have to ask ourselves some questions. When was the last time I gave my shoes to someone who does not have shoes? When was the last time I gave my coat to someone without a coat? When was the last time I saw someone hungry and I fed them? Did I even take the time to ask their name or hear their story? When was the last time I saw a stranger who needed shelter and I invited them in? When was the last time I prayed for a widow or orphan? When was the last time I saw injustice and fought against it? When was the last time I saw someone society would consider “unloveable” and I loved them? And if we’re supposed to be a people on mission, making disciples, then who are we leading to do the same?

God, I believe with all my heart that this matters to you. Break our hearts for what breaks yours, Lord. Give us eternal perspective that our earthly bodies fight to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment