Thursday, January 24, 2008

Genesis 43, Mark 6

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 - Brandon Hatmaker (Genesis 43, Mark 6)

(Genesis 43)

It’s interesting to me how Joseph’s brothers and father all feared the worst. In no way had Joseph shown them any contempt, he was just inquisitive about their family and requested that they come back with Benjamin. He received them well, dined together, showed them favor, and yet they thought any minute now that Joseph’s men would jump them, take their donkeys, and make them slaves.

So many times I look at the details of God moving in my life, and if I was honest with myself, I’ve been in fear of what’s next, and what’s his agenda. I’ve found myself skeptical before. “What’s God doing here? Is he gonna call me out to more sacrifice? Am I going to have to do something I don’t want to do? How long is this going to take?” Geeze.

We can trust and believe that God offers the very best of life. Jesus offers the fullest of life. When we follow Him, no matter the cost, the reward is greater than life. Do we truly believe that? If we did, we’d have no problem following every step.

God, strengthen our faith that we might follow you without question. Give us a trust in knowing your ways are the greatest ways possible.

(Mark 6)

Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honor." He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. And he was amazed at their lack of faith.”

I think this is a great example of what happens when we put our faith in man alone. Jesus “could not do any miracles there”, I would imagine that was a choice, for God can do anything. But they saw Jesus as that young carpenter. And their faith could do nothing when they thought of him as just man. This seems to show us a lot about the significance of our faith when it comes to miracles, and who we trust in.

Father, who Jesus is to us, impacts his movement in our lives so directly. Help us to faithfully see him as the Son of God, the Messiah, the Redeemer, and our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment