Thursday, January 10, 2008

Genesis 33, Matthew 24

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 - Brandon Hatmaker (Genesis 33, Matthew 24)

(Genesis 33)

“He himself went on ahead and bowed down to the ground seven times as he approached his brother. But Esau ran to meet Jacob and embraced him; he threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. And they wept.” Verses 3 and 4.

What an amazing illustration of the power of humility. Because of Jacob’s humility and offering, he turned away the wrath of Esau and was embraced. God giving protection and success to his people through humility is a pattern. It is not with us. When will we realize that although we like to be first, although we want the attention, the spotlight, and the credit… that Jesus really meant it when he said the “first will be last”. Jesus really meant it when he said that the “meek” will inherit the earth. Jesus meant it when he said “For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.”

Our ways do not work as God’s ways do. Humility works over pride and serving others works over serving ourselves. When will we ever learn to drop our agendas? Only then will we get to where we’ve been striving for all along.

I believe this “way” of our God, is also illustrated in serving the “least of these” in our world. I’ve tried my whole life to “love my neighbor” and change my view of how I intuitively place myself in front of others. I have never succeeded in a way that I believe honors God. But I’m learning something in my life right now, when I serve the “outcast”, when I hear their story and learn their name, my compassion for them grows. And when I can find compassion for them, I turn and realize it’s grown for my “neighbor” as well.

I believe this is God’s true game plan in changing our hearts. It’s not just figurative when Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

I think way too highly of myself.

Father, may we trust your ways. May we see that when we humble ourselves and we serve and care for others, that there are two things at work: First, we have the honor of being used to meet a need, and then second, that we are slowly become the disciples of Christ you desire us to be.

(Matthew 24)



“At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.”(vs10-14)

If we’re not careful, Chapter 24 can really scare us. But we must be careful to put things in perspective. And be ready (as best we can). Chapter 25 will do that for us. For those of us who are in Christ, we have no reason to fear. Romans 8:1 says, “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus”.

Father, may our true confidence be found in you. Give us clarity in our calling, that we may be found faithful, not to our agenda, but to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment