Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Genesis 36, Matthew 27

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 - Brandon Hatmaker (Genesis 36, Matthew 27)

(Genesis 36)

Esau was most certainly drawn to the things opposite of the ways of God. This was shown from the beginning with him giving up his birthright for a bowl of soup. He achieved much from a worldly perspective: money, power, and possession.

It’s interesting that at so many moments, we find the “children of the covenant” in second place, as the world might see it. It seems almost prophetic to Christ’s teaching that the first will be last. Matthew Henry remarks how it seems it would be such a “trial of faith” for Israel to hear of the pomp and power of the Kings of Edom while they were slaves in Egypt. This really challenges us, those who look for great things from God, to wait for them, and trust in God’s timing. He is at work around us. He is at work in us. Our task is to remain hopeful and in contentment as we trust in God’s plan.

“Mount Seir is called the land of their possession. Canaan was at this time only the land of promise. Seir was in the possession of the Edomites. The children of this world have their all in hand, and nothing in hope, while the children of God have their all in hope, and next to nothing in hand.”

While listing the rulers of Edom, verse 31 says, “These were the kings who reigned in Edom before any Israelite king reigned”. All things considered, it is beyond compare better to have Canaan in promise, than mount Seir in possession.

(Matthew 27)

I’m so amazed with the greatness of God’s Word. Matthew 27 is so rich and full. Each verse shares so much about the sovereignty and benevolence of our God. I have to bring to attention four (brief) things that stood out to me today.

First, was the fulfillment of prophecy shown in Matthew 27. To my understanding, there were at least 10 prophecies fulfilled in this chapter. From the coins of Judas being used to purchase burial grounds to the vinegar offered to Jesus on the cross. I’m reminded that in the Bible, not one prophecy was left unfulfilled. I’m reminded that even with science, technology, and archeology, there has never been anything proven wrong in scripture. Nothing. Things have only been proven true or possible. From it’s historicity, to it’s collaboration, to it’s corroboration, it is amazingly Divine and true.

Second, I think it’s an amazing word picture (in vs.6-7) that the money that was used that ultimately led to Christ on the cross was then used to purchase burial land for “foreigners”. How symbolic.

Third, in verse 19 it says, “While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him." I’m reminded how much trouble I would avoid if I’d listen to my wife more. I do believe there is an “intimacy” and sensitivity to the Spirit a Godly woman has that men seem to lack. Probably has something to do with our pride, it’s true in my life.

Finally, the fourth thing is from verse 48, “Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink.” This verse makes me think about my worship, my faith efforts, and my attempts to “please” God. Not that they are ALL “vinegar”, but it makes me think about what things are. I think sometimes we are more proud of what we have to give than we ought to be. Even the purest of things we offer, without the right heart, perspective, and intention can become “vinegar”.

I’m reminded of what God said in the book of Amos. In chapter 5, verses 21-23, "I hate, I despise your religious feasts; I cannot stand your assemblies. Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, I will have no regard for them. Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps.”

Why did God’s look on their feasts, assemblies, and offerings in this way? We gain more insight to the heart behind His accusations in Amos, “They trample on the heads of the poor as upon the dust of the ground and deny justice to the oppressed… you trample on the poor and force him to give you grain… you oppress the righteous and takes bribes and you deprive the poor of justice in the courts”.

Father, help us to know what it is to seek your ways. Take us to the end of ourselves. Help us to stand before you as a people seeking to be what Christ called us to be. Help us to understand the things that are truly important to you. Help us to prioritize our lives that we can offer up praise to you with pure hearts and clean hands. Take us on this journey for your glory. Thank you for your mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment