Thursday, January 31, 2008

Genesis 48, Mark 11

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 - Brandon Hatmaker (Genesis 48, Mark 11)

(Genesis 48)

Vs. 9 "They are the sons God has given me here," Joseph said to his father. 
Then Israel said, "Bring them to me so I may bless them."

Jacob blessed Joseph’s children. How important. I am more and more convinced that our spoken blessing is powerful. We should be more aware of how we speak of and to people. While certainly this should pertain to all we come into contact with, how much more should we be concerned with the blessing of our children?

We should work hard to keep away from negative projection. We should hold our tongue when speaking to a child with words like, “you have a bad attitude?”, “you’re lazy”, “you’ll never succeed like that”, or “that’s why you don’t have many friends”. Before you know it, they’ll start believing you. We should not allow others to speak those words to our children either.

What they need to hear is, “I love you”, “I believe in you”, “you can do it”, and “I’m proud of you”. Sooner or later, they’ll really believe that too.

God, you have told us over and over that you love us, that you believe in us, that we can do it, and that you are proud of us when we follow you. I believe it. Thank you for being my father.

(Mark 11)

It was prophecy fulfilled that Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a Donkey. Not the most majestic of all the animals. Certainly could not be compared to a beautiful white stallion. But this is how he came in. There was such expectation for the coming King. Everyone wanted Him to establish his Kingdom in power, not in humility. They wanted Him to come in and take over, not give up His life. But this was not only the way it had to be, but the way of Jesus. When will we learn? 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment