Friday, October 24, 2008

Courage

1 Samuel 17 "Courage"

People probably thought David was out of his mind.

Seriously. Scripture tells us Goliath was over 9 feet tall. Think about that for a minute. And of the giants, he was their greatest warrior. And the fight was not over a girl, or pride, a misplaced “mom” joke, or his lunch money it was for an entire nation’s wellbeing. And the fight was to the death.

“He (Goliath) looked David over and saw that he was only a boy… He said to David, "Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?" And the Philistine cursed David by his gods. "Come here," he said, "and I'll give your flesh to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field!" – 1 Samuel 17:42-44

Goliath basically said, “Come here boy. I’m gonna give you a spanking”. Yet David took his life. I know it sounds cliché’ but we all have our giants to slay. Here are some thoughts on what we can learn from this story of David:

1. David waited his turn (and was content playing a harp) but rose to the occasion at the right time.
2. David realized it wasn’t his giant to slay it was God’s.
3. Therefore, David acted as if He represented the Lord not himself.
4. However, David stayed true (authentic) to who he was with stones not Saul’s armor.
5. The result gave David a faith that would help him lead a nation.
6. He often remembered (psalms) God’s faithfulness in this moment.

1 comment:

  1. Great points. I forget to wait my turn. I was journaling this morning about how I have handled bad times and challenges in my past. I have always ran. I always thought I was going a greener pasture and truth is, the grass was not greener it was just different grass. No greener no better just different. When I "took charge and fixed it myself" I still had the same challenges that I left but, they were just with different people.

    ReplyDelete