Sunday, October 5, 2008

Heart Transformed

The trajectory of my life has been changed because of Jesus. It’s hard to tell exactly how changed since I came to faith at the age of six. (I really can’t remember how year five was for me) But I know the trajectory was adjusted. However for years, even in my adulthood the journey had seemed slow, laborious, and at times painful. Although I took part in bible study after bible study, there were seasons that were filled with as much confusion as clarity. I’ve learned that that is a part of the journey (among other variables). But one thing that has always held me hostage was the foreign concept of a truly and fully “transformed heart”. There were seasons when I felt like I never quite had one. That’s a tough confession.

In my reading of 1 Samuel 10 this morning, it tells the story of the anointing and proclamation of Saul as King by Samuel. God gave some amazing evidences of his hand and favor to Saul in this chapter, but the verse that stood out to me was verse 6 that says, “The Spirit of the LORD will come upon you in power… and you will be changed into a different person.” And I realized I had a fresh understanding of life change.

I’m a different person than I was a few years ago. I don't think I was a bad person. And I’m not saying that now I feel that I’ve "arrived" or feel at all worthy or close to anything near perfect (Geeze no!). But what I do feel is transformed, for the first time and completely. My heart has changed. My pursuits and passions have changed. And I want to live externally of myself. I want to live for others. I’m still learning how to do that, and how to lead others to do the same, but I’m committed to being a part of the answer… even if I gain nothing in return. I don’t know how it really happened other than the Spirit’s prompting. But what I do know is that it started with a homeless guy… and the idea of a free cheeseburger.

Maybe the reason Jesus told us to feed the hungry was because He knew that we would be the one’s who would become full. His ways are certainly higher than ours.

1 comment:

  1. As we wrap up the cross country season I am starting to look at how much our kids lowered the PR's (personal records) from the first meet to the last. I am amazed at how far they have come. Lately the last few weeks, I have been bummed out because we have not hit the PR times. Then I stop and think where we started 10 weeks ago and I am floored by how much we have grown. I think the same is true in our growth as followers of Jesus. In our society, at least I do, we get caught up in the "next year". We want to look at what we will do differently next year to improve this or that. We can make this change or build this up or strengthen this. I caught myself doing it with cross country. We still have two meets left and, I am already thinking about next season. When we do this we miss our growth. We can't look forward in our future to see growth. We must look back and move to this very day. When I look back at my life, I am amazed that God kept me alive through some of it. I see not how far Michael Hill has grown but, I see how much God has molded His creation into what He wants. The exciting thing is when I tie that overlooking attitude into His words and His promises, He still is not done molding me. What does the chapter look like? What does next year look like? What does next week look like? I don't know. What do know is that God knows and, if it is half as exciting and there is half of the growth, I can't wait to be a part of His plan for His creation!!

    ReplyDelete