Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Joshua 14 – “Number Two”

Joshua 14 – Brandon Hatmaker “Number Two”
Tuesday, August 12th, 2008

“Then Joshua blessed Caleb son of Jephunneh and gave him Hebron as his inheritance. So Hebron has belonged to Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite ever since, because he followed the LORD, the God of Israel, wholeheartedly. Then the land had rest from war.” – Joshua 14:13-15

After a 45 year journey, mostly riddled with battle, Caleb was finally given his inheritance. He himself said that at 85 years old that he was, “still as strong today” as the day Moses sent him out. He was willing and capable for more, but he was ready for a home. He asked for it, and it was granted. It was his time.

“Then the land had rest from war.”

That final verse is a great verse. Makes me think of what it feels like when I come home from a long trip. There is nothing quite like walking into your own house, sleeping in your own bed, eating your own food, and watching your children play in familiar places not worried if they’ll break someone else’s rules or worse, their stuff.

This was a huge blessing and reward for Caleb’s season of courage, confidence, and faithfulness. He did everything the Lord asked of him. He did everything Joshua, who was once just a fellow spy, asked of Him. He never complained about not being the number one guy. He just played his role. And when his time came, he was blessed, and his request was granted… it was granted by God's provision, it was promised by Moses, and it was blessed by Joshua.

As a Pastor, I’m humbled by the role I get to play in this journey. But I’m even more humbled by the amazing team of guys God has brought us. From an amazing staff who are also some of my best friends, to a faithful team of lay leaders who have become the same, I’m thankful for their work, their courage, their confidence, and for their faithfulness.

So I’ll write this directly to them as a prayer of blessing:

I pray that each of you find “rest” from war. I pray that you each experience reward for your faithfulness. I pray that your lives are laced with amazing ministry opportunities and are filled with joy, whether it’s at Austin New Church, through Austin New Church, or wherever you may be called. Thank you, not only “that” you serve, but also for “how” you serve.

1 comment:

  1. "The Lord will fight for you, you must be quiet." Exodus 14:14

    We get caught up egos these days. At least I know I do. Caleb is an excellent example of doing what God wants you to do and, not worrying about any of the earthly glory.

    ReplyDelete