Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Joshua 10 “Success”

Joshua 10 – Brandon Hatmaker “Success”
Wednesday, August 6th, 2008

“All these kings and their lands Joshua conquered in one campaign, because the LORD, the God of Israel, fought for Israel.” – Joshua 10:42

Chapter 10 outlines a massive movement by the nation of Israel. It’s sole purpose and power came through God. We spend a lot of time talking about following the leading of God and making sure we do things His way instead of ours, it truly is about the journey of obedience and dependency. However, so many times we forget to see the power and success that also accompany following His will. Joshua 10 is an amazing reminder of that power.

Our perspective is so small. We simply do not have the ability to see the full movement of our God and His leading. We cannot understand the full significance of each of our steps. But we can trust that our heavenly father does. His successes are far greater than our successes. His power is far greater than our power. His purpose is far greater than our purposes. The list goes on and on.

So far, as I read the book of Joshua, the pattern for me is this: While we typically measure success in many different ways, there is no tangible success that I alone can foster that can compare to what God is doing and plans to do. I am nothing and my successes are nothing without the leading of my God. God does not need me. I need him… desperately.

Verse 42 says that it was Joshua who conquered all these kings and their lands in one sweeping movement. How did this happen? “Because the Lord… fought for Israel.” Why would He do that? Because, He was their God. Their affections were on Him. There dependency was on Him. Their trust was in Him. Their fear was of Him.

1 comment:

  1. Joshua is an example of a Godly man in many ways. The way that pops into my head when I read this chapter is how he 100% is sold out to what God is telling him to do. We can look at Joshua's life and be like it is easy for him to be sold out, look at what he was a part of. God actually SPOKE to him. When was the last time you heard the voice of God like Joshua heard the voice of God? I would love to say I heard the very voice of God yesterday but, I can't. I think we can get to a "Joshua like" place with God if we work at it. We have to stay in communication with God. I have heard our relationship with God can be compared to a close friend or even our spouse. To have a good friendship or marriage it takes work. We need to talk, pray, journal, read everything we can to get closer to God to have that relationship. To be 100% sold out for His plan in our lives like Joshua was.

    ReplyDelete