Thursday, November 8, 2007

Zechariah 7, James 1

(Zechariah 7)

Wow. Here’s the question, “Lord, should we mourn and fast (replace whatever we typically do ‘for’ God as an act of worship) like we usually do?” Then God answers with another question, “when you fasted, was it really for me that you fasted?” ouch. And he doesn’t stop there, “when you were eating and drinking at your religious festivals, were you not just feasting for yourselves?” ugh.

Just the fact that they asked this question is very revealing to me. Why did they have to ask? They’ve been doing it for 70 years and all of a sudden they decide to inquire to God if they had to do it any more. It would be different if they came and said, “God, are we doing this right?” But they didn’t, instead they asked, “God, do we have to do this anymore?”

It’s interesting that in his answer, God ran the full range of what we think we do for him: from completely not eating through fasting, to completely gorging ourselves at religious festivals focused on food… ALL FOR HIM, of course. And he asks, is it really? Is it? I have a sense that was a rhetorical question.

So instead, God responds with his instruction of what they are to do. Probably, this list was much harder for them to do than just keep worshiping the way they had planned. He said, “Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.”

That’s quite a list. I’m starting to see a pattern here (understatement of the year).

Father, I’m truly sorry that our religious festivals to you fall so short. Our worship to you can so many times be so underwhelming. God, may we offer to you the things that are closest to your heart. Not out of duty, but because you are giving us the heart of Christ. Give us mercy and compassion for one another. Give us a desire to lift up the widow and fatherless, alien and poor. God keep in our hearts pure thoughts for one another. Amen.

(James 1)

One thing that I love (and sometimes hate) about James is that he speaks right to the heart of truth. Geeze. Look at all he covers in chapter one: (1) find joy in trials because we cannot become complete without them (2) we will always be tossed about in life until we gain a confident faith (3) find pride in lowly position and find humility in high positions (4) we are tempted by our own selfish desires, not God (5) every good gift is from above and it’s our nature to forget that (6) We need to listen more, speak less, and anger is probably tied to both of those (7) We fool ourselves if we think reading the word without doing it accomplishes anything, especially in the area of pleasing God. (8) One stupid statement can ruin our testimony, so be careful, very careful with our words and (9) pure religion is this: take care of orphans and widows and don’t get jacked up by the world’s values.

Once again, that’s quite a list. I’m still seeing a pattern here (second understatement of the year).

God, this morning I feel like I’m trying to take a drink of water from a fire hose. You’re blowing my face off. I love it. I’m amazed by your greatness. I’m amazed that every word I read resonates with my Spirit so much. I want to do it all. But I can’t. Please help me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment