Thursday, November 29, 2007

Genesis 4, 1 John 3

Thursday, Nov. 29, 2007 – Brandon Hatmaker

(Genesis 4)

It’s so important that not only do we offer God our best, but also that we offer him our first. This goes far beyond our money or physical offerings. The question comes to mind, do we have God’s interests in the front of our minds. When we do, all the pettiness of the world falls away. All our selfish ambition and mental and spiritual struggles fade into perspective. This is why we are encouraged regularly throughout scripture to get ready for persecution and trials, because they will come. And if our starting point of each move, decision, and effort is from an offering to God from the BEGINNING, we will stand upright before him. He will lift us up. He will give us strength.

Priority was the difference with Cain and Abel. Chapter 4 says, “Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the LORD. But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.”

The scripture tell us that Abel brought “some fruits”. Abel brought “first fruits”. It’s as much about priority and heart as it is what they actually brought. In fact, scripture doesn’t even describe the quality or portion of the fruit that Cain brought. Think about what might have gone through their minds that made them come to the decision of what they would bring. There are so many “mental” deals we make with God instead of just choosing him first. God, if you’ll just do this, then I’ll do this. God, I’m just gonna do this one more time and then never again. I promise. God, I know I should do this, but you know my heart, right… one day I’ll live for you. God, I know this isn’t about me, but look what I’ve done, I’ve done it for you.

Father, this morning I pray that your Spirit does His work in our hearts. Your Word says that you have given us everything we need through the Spirit to live a righteous life. Give us strength and desire to yield to you each moment, each decision, each reaction, that we might be found upright before you and in turn, build up the body of Christ instead of tear it down.


(1 John 3)

So clearly it is written in verse 7, “Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.”

So let’s take a look at ourselves. What wrong are we doing? What are we doing right? What are we doing that is idle or neutral? What is the condition of our attitudes, our speech, our hearts, our thoughts, our actions, and our reactions? Today. Let’s answer these questions according to scripture, not according to opinion, or custom, or of our flesh, but according to scripture. Let’s look at scripture, not to be torn down or beat ourselves up where we fail or fall short. Instead, let’s look at it to be encouraged where the small amount of light is shown, to celebrate it, to foster it, to fan the spark to a full flame. May we find confidence in knowing that when we do what God’s Word credits as righteousness, righteousness is credited to us. (By the grace of God, and His grace alone).

I had the honor of spending several hours this week with Alan Graham, the founder of Mobile Loaves and Fishes, in Austin. (An organization that has served more than a million meals to the poor and the outcast of Austin over the last 9 years) He’s my new hero. My wife is convinced that now she knows what Jesus really looks like, and he has a big white beard. The irony, Alan kind of looks like Santa Claus (Seriously). His words were full of practical wisdom and confidence. Everything he said resonated so perfectly with my spirit. While I’ve served the homeless before, I was on the verge of tears all night as we went from stop to stop feeding (and spending time with) the outcasts of our city. It was something about the Spirit with us. It was something about Alan’s Spirit. It was something amazingly Godly about that truck we drove that had been prayed over and dedicated for this task alone, full of food. Constantly he referenced Isaiah 58 and Matthew 25. So if there is ever a doubt about what we do that will be credited as righteousness, remember what the scriptures say in both the Old and New Testaments, these scriptures teach themselves:

Isaiah 58: 3-12

3“’Why have we fasted,' they say, 'and you have not seen it? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you have not noticed?' 
"Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please and exploit all your workers. 4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high. 5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for a man to humble himself? Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed and for lying on sackcloth and ashes? 
Is that what you call a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD ?

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? 8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, 
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. 
"If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, 10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, 
then your light will rise in the darkness, 
and your night will become like the noonday.

11 The LORD will guide you always; 
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. 
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. 12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.”


Matthew 25:31-45

31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment