Friday, November 2, 2007

Zechariah 3, Hebrews 10

(Zechariah 3)

Verse 10 says, “In that day each of you will invite his neighbor to sit under his vine and fig tree,' declares the LORD Almighty.”

What should terrify when sin is taken away? Then nothing can hurt, and we sit down under Christ's shadow with delight, and are sheltered by it. And gospel grace, coming with power, makes men forward to draw others to it.

God, thank you for the “branch of life” that is Christ. Thank you that all living fruit comes through the provision of that branch. Thank you that all shade and provision comes from that branch. This morning, I pray for courage and strength to remain in that branch as temptation and selfish desire pulls me towards self-sufficiency.

(Hebrews 10)

Isn’t it interesting that our nature is to want to offer physical things to God for penance? From the OT to the NT it was clear that our outward expressions fall short of sufficiency or justification. They fall desperately short of being anything that God desires. And yet we continue, “look at me God, look what I can do for you God, don’t I deserve your grace? Ain’t I great?

Hebrews chapter 10 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. There are so many rich truths that I’m typically pulled to about the church, encouragement, and leadership in verses 24 and beyond.

But today I’m drawn to verses 7-10 as they recount some of Christ’s attitude toward and God the Father’s thoughts on our offerings in life, (7b-10) I have come to do your will, O God.' "First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them". Then he said, "Here I am, I have come to do your will." He sets aside the first to establish the second. And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.”

Many times when I read scripture like this, I feel unnecessary guilt about my desire to please God through my actions. We have to remember that my God is also a loving Father. We have to maintain perspective and not just beat ourselves up over our desire to “perform” for God. We do have to remember to live peacefully under the “branch” referred to in Zechariah 3. As long as we remember that our tasks and works fall desperately short of our salvation, I think there are times we do things simply out of love that God may look at, know our heart, and smile.

As a dad, I feel that way when my five year old tries to please me by pushing the lower bar on the lawn mower as I’m mowing the grass. Honestly, he’s not really helping. He thinks he is. Mostly, he’s in the way. Many times he slows me down and my task is more difficult. But I love it when he does it. I love it when he’s walking beneath me pushing along, trying his best. He just wants to be with me, do what I’m doing, and trying to help. When our actions are an offering of love and thanksgiving, and truly not about us, God knows the difference. It’s a fine line between work for penance and works as an expression of thanksgiving or desire to walk in his path. Each of us has to seek the Spirit’s monitoring of our hearts, minds, actions, and souls in checking motives.

BUT, as maturing believers, we have to discover the difference between when it’s okay to walk along like a five year old (maybe that’s a good thought on childlike faith) and the moments when it’s no longer cute to mow the grass like a five year old. When my son is a teenager, my expectations on lawn maintenance will increase. I’ll expect him to edge and rake. I’ll expect him to mow on his own. And just like us in our temptation to become prideful or selfish in our service to God at times, my son will probably expect me to kick back some money, because he thinks he deserves it. Forgetting the years of mowing I did alone, forgetting the sacrifices I made as a dad to work, supply for his needs, keep a roof over his head, and food in his stomach. All of a sudden, in his mind, he’s such a great kid because he gave up 30 minutes of his day to mow the grass. And I owe him money. I’m already getting mad at him for his attitude.

Geeze. I learn so much about myself and about God from being a parent. Even stuff they haven’t done yet (ha!)

Father, how can we thank you enough for your grace? You’ve answered that question a thousand times, just live in it, as worship. Help us to remember it’s about YOU and You alone. Help us each day, each task, and in each opportunity before us to keep our perspective. Help us monitor our pride and sense of entitlement. May we walk humbly in your path and in the joy of your security and provision.

No comments:

Post a Comment