Thursday, October 25, 2007

Zephaniah 2, Hebrews 4

(Zephaniah 2)

I’m struck by the fact that God’s judgment comes upon nations, not just people. That’s a sobering thought today. As we consider our condition as a nation. As we consider our condition as a state, city, or even community. What is our condition? Even more so, how are we contributing to that condition? I’ve always struggled with identifying what the true role the church should be in politics and government. I’ve always wondered what our true role is as a privileged nation to the world. I don’t think our role is to be boycotting and picketing and being negative. I think that, at the risk of sounding overly simple, the answer is to do good and be a blessing in each moment before us. However that looks. Zephaniah’s words tell us that even if judgment were to fall, there is hope for the one who seeks to honor God. Verse 3 says, “Seek the LORD, all you humble of the land, you who do what he commands. Seek righteousness, seek humility; perhaps you will be sheltered.”

This is not a prideful response to corruption or injustice. This is a posture of humility. Very simply stated. In fact, verse 10 reminds us of this judgment that, “This is what they will get in return for their pride.”

God, this morning may we seek your righteousness. As believers, help us to humbly live out your ways. Teach us to do that in YOUR power and strength, not our prideful agendas. Help us to see the strength in righteousness and humility instead of it’s perceived weakness. Help us to take refuge in your goodness. Help us to live out Paul’s instructions in Philippians 4:8-9, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”

(Hebrews 4)

God’s Word truly is sharper than any double-edged sword. Verse three says, “Now we who have believed, enter that rest…” Rest is such a huge concept. Rest has so many forms from physical, to emotional, to physical. While my spirit typically takes me to the physical day of rest in the Sabbath, today I’m captured by the thoughts of spiritual and emotional rest and leads me to a question: “Is my spirit at rest in Christ?” On my agenda in life, at work, as a father, as a husband, as a leader in my church, do I find rest in my relationship with Christ that results in peace? Do I experience the release and freedom that comes from a grace that is manifest in Christ as my savior? Have I allowed the truth of scripture and trust in God’s promise to saturate my mind and heart in such a way that there is the fruit of rest in my life?

Paul clearly says to the believer that there will be turmoil in our lives. But do I capture that turmoil and consider it joy because of a Holy trust in a Holy God?

Father, remind us of your eternal reality. Remind us of this fleeting life. Remind us that the significance of the journey is found in you each day. Help us to capture the moments with our dear friends, our families, our wives, and with those in need and offer them to you. And we pray then, dear God, that the Spirit of peace that surpasses all understanding would give us rest, in you, and in you alone. Thank you Father, for a life of joy in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment