Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Micah 3, 1 Timothy 6

Micah 3

This is what the LORD says: "As for the prophets who lead my people astray, if one feeds them, they proclaim 'peace'; if he does not, they prepare to wage war against him.” Vs.5

Scripture clearly speaks of avoiding favoritism. In ministry, as well as life, money is the easy way out of almost any bind. If there is enough money, we can make it happen. So our nature… draw close to those who have it. That’s a tough thing not to do. In the OT as well as the early NT Church, leaders were warned not to give special privilege to the wealthy or to those who provided. Verse 5 above reflects the literal benefit sought after and the attitude that follows.

I’ve always thought of this as a one-way issue. Today I see it differently.

I wonder if the issue with favoritism is less about showing it to the person we benefit from and MORE about the neglect of those we don’t. I’m sure in some way it’s both/and, but it catches me off guard a little more this morning.

How do I feel about the poor? Do I want to be around them? Why aren’t I? Even those not poor or in need, how do I treat those whom I benefit NOTHING from? It’s kind of like thinking about the old definition of character: “what you do when no one is watching”. When we benefit nothing from someone, how do we treat them? What is the attitude of our heart for them? What if all our outreach efforts meant NONE of the people would ever come to our new church? Would we still be as zealous? Would we still invest in them over coffee or dinner?

God, give us a heart for people regardless of our agenda. Because this reflects your heart: Unconditional.

1 Timothy 6

Paul gives us some great words about wealth. He doesn’t say it’s wrong to be wealthy. Although, it’s taught that it makes a faith walk more difficult. Specifically in chapter 6, he says to “not be arrogant about it or put your hope” in it. God has always provided my needs. While I’ve not always been faithful in stewarding those provisions as much as I could. I also acknowledge that I have never been “without” in my life. There have been seasons in which I’ve felt guilty for having some nice stuff. It’s true, I’ve owned things of excess, while I’ve enjoyed them, I can honestly say (now) that I don’t put my hope in those things. I recognize them as what they are: stuff that’s nice to have, but still stuff.

I think chapter 6 reminds us very bluntly that it’s not wrong to have (within moderation) but what is absolutely a sin before God is not leveraging His provision for His good. Jesus even told us that the proportion should increase because the expectation increases! Luke 12:48 says, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”

Paul says about the wealthy: “Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.”

The question is not necessarily, “what do you have”? The question is moreso, “what are you doing with what God has provided you”?

God, may we be faithful stewards of what you have provided. May we always recognize it as a gift from you and not something owed us because of our hard work. God, you chose to place us in a nation where religion is free. You placed us far from a third World country where technology, healthcare, and education is an everyday luxury. There is no way we can even begin to fathom the intricate design you have put in motion to get us to where we are today. It’s laughable that we even entertain the idea that we had something to do with it. We benefit from your Grace. None of us would be where we are today without your hand. Thank you. May we be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment