Friday, November 21, 2008

2 Sam 5 - Too Young

I used to think “30” was old. Didn’t we all? Now, as I stare down 36, I still feel like a pup. I know that’s not young, but when I think about all that others have done throughout their life and the wisdom that comes from being 50 or 60 years old… I know I have much to learn and much to experience.

“David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years. – 2 Samuel 5:1-2, 4-5

This chapter reminds us that “30” is not too young. It was obviously a prime age for David. It was a prime age for Jesus as well. My wife titled a chapter “30 is the new 50” in her most recent book, “Ms. Understood”. What she meant by that was that we’re not too young to start making a difference. There seems to be a special call on our generation like never before. Consider current educational methods, communication, technology, and combine them with our passion to make a difference… it’s an amazing time to be alive, especially as a follower of Christ.

As Paul put it in his first letter to Timothy, Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” No matter our age, as we seek to make a difference, let’s remember the “how” is just as important as the “what”.

1 comment:

  1. Our generation, wow what a concept. It seems like the field is ripe with harvest. In school now a days, I have students that I could really be the father of. I am old enough to be their biological father. When I meet some of the parents, I see the lost sheep raising more lost sheep. It seems that the "our generation" I meet have a real problem with taking advice from the generation that is older than us. It is almost like they are still rebelling against mom and dad. We have a great chance to impact our very own generation. Not be talking down to the lost but by talking to them and loving them because they are creations of the Creator.

    ReplyDelete