Tuesday, November 18, 2008

2 Sam 3 - Simply Amazing

When you think about how divided Judah was from Israel, when you think about the tension between David and Saul, when you think about the world today… It’s simply amazing what our God can really do. Beginning in verse 8 we see just a glimpse of how deep that separation was prior to God bringing it all back together. Abner was highly defensive after the accusation in vs.7 and his response to being a “dog’s head, on Judah’s side” shows us how wide the gap was, yet how big the plan is:

“Abner was very angry because of what Ish-Bosheth said and he answered, "Am I a dog's head—on Judah's side? This very day I am loyal to the house of your father Saul and to his family and friends. I haven't handed you over to David. Yet now you accuse me of an offense involving this woman! May God deal with Abner, be it ever so severely, if I do not do for David what the LORD promised him on oath and transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul and establish David's throne over Israel and Judah from Dan to Beersheba." 2 Samuel 3:8-10


Nothing is impossible for our God. No one is out of reach. His arm is certainly not too short to save and His ears are certainly able to hear. He is the one who brought men from the grave… even His own son. And yet often our confidence is so small.

I had dinner Sunday night with Bishop Matt Thomas. He oversee’s the Free Methodist Church in the western United States and all of Asia. Quite a job. We spoke at length about God’s movement outside of the US. It’s simply amazing. It’s highly spiritual. It’s gigantic. I’m not saying He’s not moving here… I’m just saying I felt very small hearing story after story of the Spirit’s direct movement in ministry and people. And I craved it.

And then he made it personal. One of the most profound moments for me was in discussing the recent passing of his 28 year old son, Mitch, who had just lost his battle with cancer. Or did he? There was a peace over the Bishop as he spoke of his son being with Jesus that I just don’t know my faith would allow. I’ve never heard a man speak of eternity and know that he believed it as much as he did. I’ve never heard a man talk about the violence and danger of persecution that he’s experienced overseas because of his faith with no fear at all. His perspective is truly eternal.

Why? He knows the power of God, the power that heals, the power that is capable, the power that is beyond circumstance and this temporal world. There is nothing our God cannot do.

1 comment:

  1. I think we all long for that type of faith. I think we all truly desire it. We know what must be done to get it. Our relationship with Jesus must be one of closeness. It sounds really harsh and cold but, our relationship with Jesus must be closer than we are with our own wives. It must be closer than we are with our own children. If our relationship with Jesus is not 100% then nothing will be right in our world. When we get that relationship, the testing of it is going to happen. We we are tested we will either grow closer or crumble. It is hard to want to be tested because you know you want to grow closer. That faith though is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete