Thursday, December 6, 2007

Genesis 9, Jude

Thursday, Dec 6, 2007 – Brandon Hatmaker (Genesis 9, Jude)

(Genesis 9)

In reading Genesis 9, I was struck by God’s attention to detail in describing our responsibility before him in relationship to animals. He even said for each one he will demand an accounting. I think that’s an insight to the responsibility that comes with the position of authority. That’s a great word picture when I think about how we treat those in our lives whom God has placed us in authority over, whether it’s our children, wives, even employees.

But I’m even more struck by the last part of verse 5 when he writes, “And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.”

The word used to describe the “life blood” that is used in this verse in the NIV, comes from the word “vitality”. As the church, we have such great responsibility in the accounting for the life of others. While certainly each one of us will stand before God and give an account for our life, I believe with all my heart the health of a church, it’s ministries, it’s passions, it’s authentic relationships impact greatly the “vitality” of each person’s faith and faith journey. This is a sobering thought when I think about all the lives that will walk through our doors, hear about our church, be served a free meal on the street, be challenged to love on another, sit through a sermon, or visit a community group (the list goes on and on). My question today for me, for the people in my life, or for just in my day, am I contributing to the “vitality” of their life (in Christ)? I believe even the neutral we will give an account.

The other thing that caught my eye was from verse 17, “So God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth."

When we think about God’s covenant, we should remember that it literally represents a two-sided agreement. So many times we think of it as only something we must do. On the contrary, and not that he owes us anything, God is making a promise to us. No doubt, he has been and will be found faithful. How terrible the day, in light of his faithfulness, to be found out that we did not uphold our side of the bargain!

First Father, I pray that we would see others through your eyes. Help us to recognize the negative or neutral impact we have on others so that we might press forward into fostering vitality in the lives of your children. God, may it start with us. Give us a JOY that surpasses all understanding. Give us a JOY that your Word says is our strength. May your Spirit fill us so much that our vitality overflows into the lives of others. May we be found faithful, father, in our service to you and others.

(Jude)

The list is huge. All the things Jude outlines as characteristics and accusations of the ungodly. I began to write them all down but instead was encouraged by the very first verse when Jude described the ones whom this letter was penned for, “To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ: Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.”

Of all the warnings, I’m drawn by the description of verse 12 about the “clouds without rain”.

So many times we can look at the wrong things we’ve done and easily critique or try not to do it again. So many times we can justify our actions as being okay in our own minds. But a cloud without rain is just useless. It does nothing. It offers no nourishment (although it’s designed to do so). It does not fulfill it’s role in nature and if all clouds were the same, it would literally break down the ecosystem cycle. All it does is block the sun. Literally.

God, may we stay in your Word that we might always keep in the front of our minds the things that oppose your ways. Help us to do as the Psalmist says “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Through your Word, help us to see our nature of selfishness. Help us to see it as a problem, that on this journey we would constantly fight against. Thank you God that we are just a part of this great plan. We recognize that it does not all depend on us, but thank you for the thrill and privilege of being a part of it. May we be found faithfull.

No comments:

Post a Comment