Monday, December 31, 2007

Genesis 25, Matthew 16

Monday, Dec 31, 2007 - Brandon Hatmaker (Genesis 25, Matthew 16)

(Genesis 25)

“He breathed his last and died.”

Twice in Genesis 25, this is the wording used to describe the end of a life. Sure, there were more words used (especially for Abraham), but these are profound. They are so simple and final.

There will be a day when each of us do the same. All that we have lived for on this earth, all that we have accomplished, our legacy, our fame, and our faith will no longer be built upon. We will simply breath our last breath, and die.

Solomon warns us to be aware of the focus and substance of our lives. That we do not simply chase after the wind. There is a lot of wind to be chased.

Father, an eternal perspective is so hard to grasp and hold on to. We have such simple minds and simple ways. Sometimes I feel like a preschooler thinking only in the concrete, knowing an abstract world exists. In the same breath, I rejoice, knowing that your foolishness is wiser than our wisdom. Thank you God for your greatness.

(Matthew 16)

Verse 1 says that, “The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven”.

I hate it when I read something that the “hyper-religious” of Jesus’ time did that I can identify with. How many times have I asked for a “sign” from God. Here’s a question: Does God owe me a sign? No.

However, the sad thing is how often God has actually given me one, and how small I allow the impact to actually be. It lasts a few days or weeks. Then I forget.

Our God is so patient with us. God truly is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment