Tuesday, July 22, 2008

2 Cor. 12 "Circumstance"

2 Corinthians 12 – Brandon Hatmaker “Circumstance”
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008

“To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” – 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

If we were to listen to our own prayers, I think we’d find that we often ask God to change circumstances that we feel are the root of a problem. They are the circumstances or the conditions that surround something that is bothering us. Paul calls this his thorn. Typically those circumstances are impacting our lives in, one way or another. Maybe they’re impacting our relationships, emotions, security, or even how we view success

While there are hints in his writing to what it could be, I think Paul deliberately does not go into detail about what exactly his “thorn” is. He just says he has one, he begged God to remove it, but He didn’t. And now His journey is to live faith with this thorn. And to lead others and while trusting God no matter the circumstance.

Why?

Circumstances will always exist and be ever changing. If our faith is dependent or highly impacted by them, we will always have issues. We will always have struggles. We will never find peace.

God is constant. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He is beyond circumstance. If we depend on God, we will find consistency and peace no matter the circumstance. If we depend on circumstance, and they are removed, do we still depend on God? Do we still look to him for rescue? Most of the time we don’t. Paul knew his thorn kept Him humble and dependent. God’s promise is to provide strength to stand up during the storm, not to remove the storm. Jesus reminds us clearly that “in this world you will have trouble”, but to take heart for He has overcome the world (Jn 16:33). He told us that the goal of this reminder was so that we would find peace… in HIM, not in circumstance.

I think 1 Corinthians 10:13 gives us some insight to His ways, “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

While modern translations and transliterations may (at first glance) lead us to believe God will provide an escape, we see by the end of the verse that the way God provides this way “out” is to provide strength to “stand up” under the temptation or trial, not necessarily to remove it.

So the battle is not to live a life without issue or struggle. The battle is to find peace, joy, love, happiness, contentment (and so on) in each of the days we have as we abide in Christ on this journey of life. It’s a battle to not allow those struggles to keep us from doing what we are called to do. Not allowing our personal issues to keep us from living a life of love that we are commanded to live. And this is not of our own strength, but of His.

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” - Psalms 3:5-6

Father, I’ve prayed about circumstances the majority of my life. Today I ask for your hand to simply provide strength and protection. I pray for your favor and for your continued revelation. Help us as your children to rest in Your truth and in Your ways. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Paul said he would boast about bad times. He would live a life that people would insult him and mock him. I think he could do this and lead this life because he was so focused on Christ. When the mighty Rock took his focus off of Jesus on the lake and looked at the storm he started to sink beneath the water. As long as he kept his focus on Jesus, he was ok. He had a storm all around him. It was rocking the boat so hard, everybody was throwing up. That is saying something since they were all fishermen. Still, as long as he looked at Jesus, and not the storm, he was ok. I think if we do that in our "stroms" we may get rocked around a little bit, we may even throw up, BUT we will still be ok no matter what with our focus on Jesus.

    ReplyDelete