Wednesday, July 2, 2008

1 Cor. 15 "Without Cause"

1 Corinthians 15 – Brandon Hatmaker “Without Cause”
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008

“…hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:2

This is truly a gut-level scripture. Paul gives validation to our faith only through it’s application and it’s reality in our lives. He’s reminding us that the gospel comes with purpose and a goal. It is not to remain idle.

The word “vain” means “without cause”. I wonder today in what area’s I have believed without cause. I would imagine it would be the areas of life in which I have allowed my faith to remain neutral, passive, or even ignorant. I would imagine it’s in areas of struggle that might seem too “common to man” to overcome. I’m afraid that it’s mostly in areas of not allowing the Spirit to break through my pride and my selfishness. I’m reminded of these things through the humility shown in Paul’s words in verses 9-10.

“For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.”

It was not without effect. In other words, it was not in vain. It accomplished it’s goal, and Paul was a new man.

Father. It’s a dangerous prayer, but I ask that you continue to take away my pride and selfishness. I thank you for blessing and favor in the journey. Today, I thank you for the shaping of our hearts and minds through your Spirit and Divine will.

1 comment:

  1. You are right, it is a dangerous prayer. It is also a prayer I have been praying for what seems at least a year. Paul just floors me. He was used for some of the most amazing things in the Bible. He wrote most of it. And yet, he deflects the light off of him and where it belongs, God, every time he is given the chance. Humility is an amazing thing. The truly humble just blow me away. I pray that I can be that strong a mirror reflecting whatever small effort I make back on the One who does everything.

    ReplyDelete