Monday, March 31, 2008

John 9 "I Once was Blind"

John 9 - Brandon Hatmaker - "I once was blind"

“Finally they turned again to the blind man, "What have you to say about him? It was your eyes he opened." The man replied, "He is a prophet." Vs. 17

This verse gives us a reminder of our nature. Although this man could see for the first time after Jesus’ healing, when he was questioned the first time, he said Jesus was a prophet. Not the Christ. Not the Son of God. Not the One He claimed to be.

Later his parents dodged the question as well because they were afraid of the Jews and being put out of the synagogue.

If we truly believe He is the Christ. If our lives have truly been changed or if He has truly revealed Himself in our lives, shouldn’t we commit our lives to living what He said? Shouldn’t we trust that a stand for Him trumps tradition, ritual, and legalism. Shouldn’t we trust that although we may be called out of our comfort zone personally or relationally that, if surrender comes and if done out of faith, it will bring Glory to God?

I guess my heart today is a desire to trust. And in places where my mind says trust but my heart holds on, to prayerfully ask God to search my heart and change me.

Eventually, the man spoke the truth. I would imagine it was out of a thankful heart. Maybe the miracle had finally sunk in for what it was. Either way, he spoke out, and boldly at that: “The man answered, "Now that is remarkable! You don't know where he comes from, yet he opened my eyes. We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will. Nobody has ever heard of opening the eyes of a man born blind. If this man were not from God, he could do nothing." Vs. 30-33

He makes a lot of sense doesn’t he? I once was blind, but now I see. Talk about the “Good News”.

No comments:

Post a Comment